On April 1, 1909, Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Henson along with seven other charter members organized Scott Memorial, the first black Methodist Episcopal Church in Michigan. It was proposed that the new church be named for Bishop Isaiah B. Scott, one of the first black bishops of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1914, a house located on Beacon Street in Detroit was purchased and converted into a suitable place of worship for Scott Memorial. Later, a lot was purchased on Beaubien Street and a new church building was constructed on the site in August 1914.
In the early ‘20s, Scott Memorial was one of the leading churches in Detroit and became known as the “Mother Church” after giving birth to Berea, Second Grace and St. Paul Methodist Episcopal churches.
In October 1929, Scott Memorial moved into a new church home located at 609 East Kirby where the membership blossomed. Due to this exponential growth, a new building located at 10372 West Chicago Boulevard in Detroit was identified and purchased to accommodate the growing congregation. The building was valued at $800,000; however, through the tireless work of the pastor and key members, Scott Memorial purchased the building for $1.00.
In 1968, the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethen Church merged creating the United Methodist Church. Scott Memorial changed its name to Scott Memorial United Methodist Church (UMC) in order to reflect its new denominational affiliation.
In 2001, Scott Memorial UMC experienced a devastating fire that completely destroyed the sanctuary and ultimately led to the facility being demolished. God’s grace abounded and the church began to hold worship services with Calvary United Methodist Church and later with Redford United Methodist Church, while searching for a new facility.
On December 1, 2005, a new church was purchased and Scott Memorial UMC relocated to its current edifice at 15361 Plymouth Road in Detroit.
Mr. and Mrs. Harvey F. Henson (children)
Mr. and Mrs. Newbly
Mr. and Mrs. Cabiness
Mrs. Alice Thomas
Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Mae
Pastoral Legacy of Scott Memorial United Methodist Church
|1909 – 1910||Rev. J.H. Payne|
|1910 – 1911||Rev. W.O. Calvest|
|1911 – 1912||Rev. B.F. Smith|
|1912 – 1913||Rev. J.H. Payne|
|1913 – 1914||Rev. B.W. Kirtley|
|1914 – 1918||Rev. H.B. Mays|
|1918 – 1921||Rev. S.H. Sweeney|
|1921 – 1923||Rev. G.G. Buckner|
|1923 – 1925||Rev. G.R. Bryant|
|1925 – 1931||Rev. B.F. Smith|
|1931 – 1932||Rev. J.B. Robinson|
|1932 – 1938||Rev. E.W. Kelly|
|1938 – 1945||Rev. H.M. Carroll|
|1945 – 1948||Rev. W.H. Williams|
|1948 – 1952||Rev. D.P. Young|
|1952 – 1961||Rev. Alfred Clay|
|1961 – 1969||Rev. C.T.R. Nelson|
|1969 – 1977||Rev. Dr. Donald Scavella|
|1977 – 1980||Rev. George Rice|
|1980 – 1987||Rev. Dr. Quincy Cooper|
|1987 – 1992||Rev. Dr. Anthony Shipley|
|1992 – 2001||Rev. Dr. Andrew Allie|
|2001 – 2005||Rev. Joyce E. Wallace|
|2005 – 2016||Rev. Dr. Anthony Hood|
|2016 –||Rev. Cornelius Davis|